Static electricity  

azgrumbles
Originally Answered: Static electricity

When I pet my cat, he always has a lot of static electricity in his fur. At night I can actually see sparks as I pet him. We live in the dry southwest so maybe that contributes to it, but I’d like to know how to reduce or eliminate it. We don’t have carpet, only hardwood floors. 


Quote
Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM, CVJ
Originally Answered: Static electricity

Hey there!

There are a couple of ways to discharge excess electricity coming off your cat. The easiest way is with water - just get your fingers slightly wet before petting your cat. This will discharge the electricity and spare you and your cat a shock. Other tips that will help:

 

1. Get a humidifier - you are in a dry environment that needs more moisture!

2. If your cat's bed is made out of synthetic materials, switch to something that has natural fibers, like cotton or wool.

3. Mist your cat with a anti-static spray (yes, there is such a thing). You can easily purchase online from amazon or chewy.

4. Use a conditioning spray on your cat.

 

You may see recommendations to rub your cat with a dryer sheet but I discourage that practice because the chemicals in dryer sheets can be toxic to cats. Hope that all helps!


ReplyQuote
azgrumbles
Originally Answered: Static electricity

@sarah-wooten

Thank you! I’ve been getting my hands damp before petting him and it’s working great. 


ReplyQuote

Related Questions

Static electricity Insurance help Need to gain weight Sodium Nitrite