Receiving a cat subscription box should make you feel like it’s your cat’s birthday every month, but if you opt into the wrong service, you’ll end up with regrets and a house full of unwanted toys. In this article, you’ll learn how to choose a great one.
You should sign up for a cat subscription box if…
- You want plenty of extra goodies for your cats
- You’re interested in discovering unfamiliar items from artists and small businesses
- You love nothing more than the sight of a mystery box on your porch
- You want to surprise a friend with awesome gifts
- You have extra money to spend on something impractical
Are cat subscriptions worth it? Here are a few thoughts on the practicality factor.
The average cat subscription box will add up to around $300 a year in toys, gadgets, treats, and accessories—that’s about the same as a year of pet insurance coverage. If you have to choose between pet insurance and a subscription box, it’s clear which is the practical choice.
To offer a satisfying experience, the creators of the best cat subscription boxes must add something special to each box. Subscription box services may add value with convenience, deeply-discounted items and a great value month after month, unique handmade products you’d never discover otherwise, or pack it all into a catnip-scented box that drives your cat wild.
What Makes A Great Cat Subscription Box?
Like any great subscription box service, great cat subscription boxes should satisfy the following key points:
- They should offer a great value.
- The best cat subscription box services make cancellation easy. While it’s always easy to cancel the subscription in theory, some services make things more complicated.
- Great cat subscription boxes offer personalization. Whether that means a note addressed to your cat or the ability to choose the types of products included in the box, a little uniqueness makes each delivery a reason to celebrate.
- They should offer interesting, high-quality products.
Top 5 Best Cat Subscription Boxes Reviewed
KitNip Box Review
Each box is filled with what the company describes as “unique items designed to keep your cat happy, healthy, and fit”.
These include treats, toys, accessories, gadgets, and other items. Treats are available to US customers only—if you’re purchasing KitNip boxes outside of the US, you can expect other goodies in lieu of the standard treats.
You can’t choose the types of treats you want to receive based on your cat’s sensitivities and preferences, but you can opt for a treat-free box if you’d rather not get food.
Each month, a portion of the proceeds are donated to shelters, rescues, and other organizations dedicated to promoting feline welfare. The company invites you to send an email recommending an organization you’d like them to support.
If a box every month is too much for you, you may prefer a quarterly or bimonthly subscription.
Happy Cat KitNip Box
- $19.99 per month
- 5 items in each box
Multi-Cat KitNip Box
- $29.99 per month
- 7 items in each box
- $39.99 per month
- 10 items in each box
KitNipBox subscription boxes are currently available in the United States, Canada, and Australia. If you’d like to receive the boxes in another country, you can email KitNipBox and they’ll do their best to help you out.
Shipping is free to locations in the United States. KitNip boxes are also delivered to Canada and Australia, but they charge $6.95 and $7.95 shipping to these countries, respectively.
*KitNipBox is only available to customers based in North America, but its planning on expanding its reach to countries worldwide.
- You can opt for a treat-free box
- Has three different tiers, allowing you to fine-tune your costs
- Donates to charitable organizations
- Cats love the boxes
- A good value
- Every box is curated according to a monthly theme
- No serious drawbacks—this is a model subscription box
Cat Lady Box Review
Starting at $34.99/month
While this cat subscription box is a scratch more expensive than some others on this list, it has an interesting twist. The Cat Lady Box is designed for both cat ladies and their kitties. You can choose between a box stuffed with gifts for the cat-loving human or one for both humans and cats.
Each month, a portion of the Cat Lady Box’s profits are donated to cat rescue organizations.
The company supports independent artists and small businesses, so you’re likely to find some unique and interesting pieces in each box.
- Starts at $34.99 per month
- Comes with 2-3 items for the cat lady
- Starts at $39.99 per month
- 2-3 human items
- 2 gifts for your cat
You can start your subscription by paying for a 1, 3, or 6 month plan. If you or someone you know loves cats but doesn’t have one right now, a one-month purchase of the CatLadyBox might make a good gift.
Shipments are limited to the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. You’ll get free shipping if you live in the U.S. Canada shipments will cost $8.95, while UK deliveries will cost you $12.95 per box.
- Each month’s box is curated according to a fun theme
- Ideal for the cat lady who wants gifts for herself and her cats
- Attractively packaged
- Gets high ratings from customers
- Supports cat rescue organizations
- Supports artists and small businesses
- One of the most expensive cat subscription boxes
Starting at $22.95/month
Meowbox emphasizes high-quality toys and treats. Each box comes filled with 4-6 items made for cats in Canada or the United States. If you’d prefer that your cat’s box come without any food, you can opt to exclude edible items and they’ll be replaced by non-edible gifts for your cat.
Meowbox shipments also include products from their own exclusive line of branded toys. If you want to replace these items, you can always order individual products from meowbox’s online store. This is one of the most customizable cat subscription boxes available, allowing you to decline products you’d rather buy separately.
Every box is curated according to a monthly theme. Past themes have included Compliments to the Chef, Bring on the Mew Year, and The Barpurr Shop.
If you’d rather receive a box every two months than once a month, you may prefer the bimonthly option.
Everything inside the meowbox is sourced from Canada or the United States, and the box itself
is sprayed with a “magical kitty potion”. For every meowbox sold, the company donates a can of food to a shelter cat.
- One of the most customizable cat subscription boxes
- Cats love the smell of the boxes
- Emphasizes interesting, high-quality products
- Exclusive products make it difficult to calculate value
Welcome to my humble abode 🏠. #ChezMeow #Caturday 📸 credit: @acatmia • • • #homesweethome #homeiswheretheheartis #home #chezmoi #cathome #catpod #catball #cat #catsofinstagram #pet #cats #pets #petstagram #kitten #catstagram #instacat #catlover #catoftheday #kittens #weeklyfluff #catsagram #catlovers #lovecats #instagramcats #cats_of_instagram #lovekittens #catlife #bestmeow
The WhiskerBox brings you each month’s gifts in a bold, stylish purple box. Each box comes with a customized card describing the contents of the box and the monthly theme.
According to the subscription box’s website, the team behind WhiskerBox selects exclusive, unconventional products and tests them to ensure that they’re feline-approved before including them in the WhiskerBox.
The subscription box has two tiers. Each box is curated according to a monthly theme. The top subscription level is the only subscription box to send you apparel for your cat.
The WhiskerBox Mew Subscription
- Costs $34.95/month
- Contains 4-5 toys and treats
- A $40+ value
Whiskerbox Meow Subscription
- $49.95 per month
- It contains 4-6 items, apparel, toys, and treats.
- A $70+ value
WhiskerBox offers shipping to the United States and Canada. It will cost an additional $15 to receive your shipment outside of US and Canada.
- Comes with fun, original cat apparel
- Interesting product selection
- Attractive packaging
- Expensive and possibly not a great value
Cuddle Crate Review
Starting at $19/month
While the other subscription boxes on this list are cat-exclusive, Cuddle Crates cover almost every type of furry pet.
In addition to boxes for cats, this company allows you to customize your Crate to include species and size-specific products for tiny dogs, small dogs, medium dogs, large dogs, gerbils/hamsters, and rabbits/guinea pigs.
- 4-5 products per month
- Starts at $28 per month (lower rates for prepaid subscriptions)
- 6-8 products per month
- Option to include products for up to 2 pet types
- Starts at $39 per month (lower rates for prepaid subscriptions)
- 9+ products per month
- Option to include products for up to 3 pet types
- Starts at $50 per month (lower rates for prepaid subscriptions)
Once you’ve specified the details of your furry family, you’re offered a range of subscription types and rates. Cuddle Crate allows you to choose between a monthly and bimonthly shipment calendar.
You can choose from a 1, 3, 6, or 12 month plan to whittle down your monthly costs.
Shipping is free to the lower 48 United States.
- Flexible plans and pricing
- Ideal for multi-pet homes
- Product selection can be uninspiring
- Monthly rate can be expensive if you don’t buy into an extended plan
- No option to exclude food items
About the author
Mallory Crusta is a writer and adventurecat enthusiast on a mission to make cats’ lives extraordinary. She’s one of the founders of Wildernesscat – a site for happy, healthy, and adventurous cats who are fueled by nature. Visit Wildernesscat for radically natural cat nutrition, home remedies, and lifestyle inspiration.